Tips To Protect Yourself
When Using Online Banking:
- Password protect it! Use numbers, symbols and upper-case letters in your password, and don't write it down or share it.
- Log-out when you're finished or are leaving your computer unattended.
When Shopping in a Store:
- If you use a Debit Card, be sure that you shield the keypad from the rest of the line when entering your PIN.
- Ensure that you have your cards and license before leaving the store.
When Shopping Online:
- Do not enter your credit card information unless the page you are viewing is secure. A secure page will begin with "https://" and will feature a small padlock symbol in the bottom right-hand corner. By clicking on the padlock icon, you can view the security certificates which verify the authenticity of the website you're viewing.
- Do not save credit card information to an online merchant's website.
When Opening Emails:
- Use caution when opening unsolicited emails, and never open attachments before verifying an email's authenticity.
- If you receive an email requesting that you provide, verify, update, or change your personal information, such as passwords, PINs, account numbers, etc.
When Using Credit or Debit Cards:
- If your VISA® card is lost or stolen, immediately report it by calling 800-264-5578.
- Do not carry your PIN in your wallet or purse. The safest place to store your PIN is in your memory! Don't ever share your PIN.
- Retain any receipts so that they can be checked against your monthly statement.
- Do not carry an excessive number of debit or credit cards in your wallet or purse. Carry only what you need!
- Examine your statements monthly and contact your creditor immediately if you notice any suspicious charges or if your statement is late.
When Utilizing an ATM:
- Have your deposit slips filled out and ready before approaching the ATM.
- Do not count your money after a withdrawal while parked at the ATM.
- Do not make any withdrawals after dark. If you need to do so, check the ATM and the surrounding area for any suspicious activity, and ensure that its location is well-lit.
- Lock your doors and keep your engine running while at the ATM.